|LOCATION: Komkom, Oyigbo, Rivers state.||DATE: March 22, 2014|
Following the reported leaks by the Civil Defence Corps on the 21st of March,2014. A JIV was scheduled to take place at the komkom location on the 22th March,2014. The JIV commenced with an opening prayer and a brief introduction of participants, there after was a brief HSE session after which the JIV team which comprises of Government regulators (NOSDRA,DPR and State Ministry of Environment), NGO (NACGOND),Shell contractors and Consultants, moved to the site of the spill at 11:55 am. After the HSE Session , the Right Of Way (ROW) contractors and the SPDC staff and contractors moved to the spill point to wash away the oil and to excavate the buried pipe to find out the actual cause of the spill.
The following were done in the JIV:
- The cause of leak was Hacksaw.
- The Area impacted was mapped by the Geometrics.
- The volume estimation was done by the Government (team) personnel.
- The Oil spill response team was on ground to do recovery.
- The repair team was there for repairs.
- There was both video and picture coverage by SPDC media.
Composition of the JIV Team: Representative of the following organizations were part of the JIV team:
- National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA)
- Rivers State Ministry of Environment (RSME)
- Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR)
- Surveillance Contractors
- National Coalition on Gas flaring and Oil Spills in the Niger Delta (NACGOND)
- Community Representatives
- The Nigerian Police
- The Nigerian Civil Defence Corp
- SPDC Staff and Contractors
- Right Of Way (ROW) contractor
Objective of the visit: To determine the cause of spill ,quantity of spill and the area impacted.
Date of incident: March 21, 2014
Actual duration (days): 1 day
Cause of spill: Sabotage
Description of environment: Land (Farm land)
Description of leaked point: The leaked point was not on the 12”pipe but on two 2”pipes connected to the 12” pipe.
Type of environment to which oil has spread: Cassava farm land (terrestrial)
Type of containment: Containment Boom
Properties affected: Vegetation, farm land, fauna.
Observations/Nature of Spill
- Asset is a buried pipeline
- The area affected was 0.098 Ha.
- Volume of spill was 32 Barrel .and 21 barrel recovered
- The impacted area had little but fresh oil slick around and the magnitude of oil leaks is minimal
Endorsement of the JIV: National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA), River State Ministry of Environment (RSME), Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), Surveillance Contractors, National Coalition on Gas flaring and Oil Spills in the Niger Delta (NACGOND), Community Representatives, The Nigerian Police, The Nigerian Civil Defence Corp, SPDC Staff and Contractors and Right Of Way (ROW) contractor.
Problems Encountered: The information on the JIV was not delivered to NACGOND representative in time, so he could not get some devices like camera, Gas detector, etc from the office that could have been helpful to him.
Recommendations: The multinational companies should cooperate with NACGOND to create awareness on the dangers of Hydro-carbons and its impact in the environments(Communities).
Conclusion: Host communities members should be enlighten on the danger of spilled hydrocarbon and how to report spill to appropriate authorities.