The National Coalition on Gas Flaring and Oil Spills in the Niger Delta (NACGOND) is a partnership of twenty-six member civil society groups that seek to address the lingering environmental degradation associated with oil spills, gas flaring and illegal oil bunkering in the Niger Delta. It is also a vehicle that civil society groups can use to proactively suggest tangible solutions to these key issues. NACGOND’s major approach is grounded in research and evidence-based advocacy, which aims to ensure the issues of oil spills and gas flaring are immediately fixed, however they are caused.
NACGOND is currently advertising for the following position to work in the Port Harcourt Office on a 5-year advocacy project:
Job Title: Senior Project Officer
Location: Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Job Purpose: The Senior Project Officer will ensure the strategic direction of NACGOND projects focusing on management, supervision and quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to project delivery and reporting, achieving the following results:
Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting and implementing of the project, tracking use of financial resources and timely achievements of project objectives;
Setting up milestones and targets for the project and constant monitoring and project quality control,; and constant monitoring and analysis of the project environment, making recommendations for readjustments on a monthly and quarterly basis;
Regular aggregating and analysing reports and project documentation on project activities, outcomes and impact;
Timely delivery of donor reports, in compliance with donor requirements, and other project documentation;
Identifying, building and managing strategic partnerships which are central to the project and future projects whilst overseeing project relationships with local partner organisations and consultants;
Representing NACGOND when requested by NACGOND Coordinator;
Project design and early implementation
• Lead on the strategic and operational planning process in the Nigeria office and prepare drafts of key strategic and operational planning documents, in close cooperation with the NACGOND secretariat and CWC
• Coordinate revision of the project strategy with key project stakeholders/implementing partners to ensure an updated and shared understanding of the strategy and accountability to project beneficiaries;
• Create an effective and participatory M&E system through assisting in drafting of key documents of strategic and operational M&E by implementing partners
• Supporting the implementing partners in ensuring that each project has been assigned adequate human resources by preparing and managing staff schedules and timesheets, highlighting capacity gaps, recommending external consultants and supporting the selection process where necessary
External Relations and Communications:
• Identify, build and leverage relationships that are key to promoting sustainability in the Niger Delta
• Hold regular communication and networking with local partners, local and national institutions and external actors
• Contribute to developing appropriate strategies for advocacy with key NACGOND partners
• Contribute to the NACGOND external communications process by writing articles for the website and manage social media platforms
• Design and implement project communications plans that feed into NACGOND’s external communications process
Assessment of candidates will be based on proven experience and capacity with evidence of the following or equivalent experience as follows:
• Post graduate degree in social sciences, environment, resource governance or related field;
• Spoken and written fluency in English - Written articles / examples of your writing ability in relation to governance in Nigeria;
• IT skills: word, excel and online communication skills;
• Strong oral and written communications skills;
• Proven experience supporting and managing project staff;
• Donor reporting experience - At least five (5) years of experience in environment, resource governance, peace-building, development; and/or related fields, including democracy and governance issues;
• Proven ability to negotiate multiple relationships with various partners;
• Demonstrated experience in financial management and program administration of grants; knowledge of major donor rules and regulations, and the ability to manage multi-donor funding;
• Demonstrated planning (including budgeting) and proposal writing skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to build and conduct effective professional working relationships at all levels, both internally and externally.
Commensurate with experience and education, with excellent benefits
Interested candidates should send a brief cover letter and curriculum vitae to ; . Applications must be received by Tuesday, August 30, 2016.
Your application will be acknowledged but only shortlisted candidates will receive further correspondence.
For further information on NACGOND, visit www.nacgond.org.